Back to Last Roll Call Home Page   

Paul F. Vader, Jr.

Company M-2

15 Jul 1937 - 7 Mar 2013

Place of Death: Littleton, CO

Interment: Fort Logan National Cemetery, Denver, CO

It is with great sorrow and regret that we must notify you of the death of our Classmate, Paul Vader, on March 7, 2013 in Littleton, CO, after a courageous 15 year battle with Parkinson's Disease.

Paul is survived by his wife, Mary Ann; two sons, Casey and Chris; and two grandchildren, Paul and Gabriela.

Paul's funeral will be at 11:30 AM on Wednesday, March 13th at Fort Logan National Cemetery, 4400 W. Kenyon Avenue, Denver, CO  80236.  Paul's family will host a celebration of his life immediately following the funeral at Pinehurst Country Club, 6255 W. Quincy Avenue, Denver, CO  80235.

Condolences may be sent to Mary Ann at 6500 W. Mansfield Ave #56, Denver, CO 80235.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Parkinson's Association of the Rockies, 1325 S. Colorado Blvd, Suite 204B, Denver, CO 80222 or online at:                                         

 Well done, Paul.  Be thou at peace.


Class Memorial Pages\M-2 Paul Vader.pdf


Paul Franklin Vader Jr.

75, died after a long struggle with Parkinson's disease on March 7, 2013 in Littleton, Colorado. Paul was born in 1937 in Buffalo, New York to Paul and Josephine Vader. Paul is preceded in death by sister, Phyllis Weaver. He is survived by wife, Mary Ann Vader; sons, Chris Vader and partner Mike Misa & Casey Vader and wife Toby Vader; two grandchildren, Paul Vader and Gabriela Vader;and siblings, Prudy Brett and Patrick Vader.

Graveside service will be 11:30 A.M. Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at Fort Logan National Cemetery, Staging Area B. Chaplain Ron Cobble will officiate. In Lieu of Flowers Donations may be made to the Parkinson's Association of the Rockies at:                    

The Denver Post

Taps Memorial Article:

Paul F. Vader Jr. 1961

Cullum No. 23772-1961 | March 7, 2013 | Died in Littleton, CO


Paul Franklin Vader Jr. was born in Buffalo, NY in 1937. His father was employed at Bell Helicopter and his mother was a homemaker. Paul had three younger siblings. In 1952 Bell moved from New York to Texas, and Paul was enrolled in the public schools in Arlington, TX. A good student, athlete and Eagle Scout, he graduated from Arlington High School and enrolled in Arlington State College (later the University of Texas-Arlington). He was elected to the student government, was accepted into the ROTC program, and became an active member of the Sam Houston Rifles. Having developed a strong affinity for military service, Paul personally lobbied Texas congressional members for an appointment to West Point. He succeeded in this and in July 1957 joined the Long Gray Line in Company M-2. “Vades” as Paul was sometimes called, was well known for a great sense of humor, a relative indifferent attitude toward the Tactical Department, and a do-what-is-necessary relationship with the Academic departments. Paul graduated in June 1961 and moved on to life in the Army. After the basic course, Airborne, and Ranger School, he headed to Fort Riley, KS as a platoon leader in 1-18th Infantry. It was here that Paul met Mary Ann. They were married and began the journey of a long and loving relationship. Their marriage resulted in two wonderful children. In 1964 he went to Vietnam as a battalion advisor, winning two Bronze Stars, the Army Commendation Medal (with “V” device) and several Air Medals. In 1965 the family moved to Fort McNair, DC, and Paul assumed command of HQ Company, MDW. In 1968 it was Fort Benning, GA and the advanced course, followed by another Vietnam tour with the 101st ABN and two Bronze Stars.

In 1969 Paul was assigned as protocol officer for the EUCOM CG, Jack Nicholson. From 1975 to 1979 he was the professor of military science at Wichita State University, and from there to Fort Monroe, VA as an IG. Paul retired in 1982 and the family moved to Denver CO.

Lieutenant Colonel Vader (USA, Retired) developed a very successful career in the brokerage world joining Dean Witter in Denver. He became a Vice President in 1988 and a Corporate Senior Vice President in 1995 with regional responsibility. In 1998 he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and, after a long and courageous struggle, succumbed to it in March 2013. Mary Ann and the family devoted their lives to his comfort and support. Paul was a courageous soldier devoted to his country. His civilian career was marked by great accomplishments and recognition.

— Prepared by the Vader children, Pat Vader (brother), and Ranger Buddy Bill Tobin