Back to Last Roll Call Home Page   

Glynn C. Mallory, Jr.

Company K-1

10 Feb 1939 - 20 Feb 2020

Place of Death: San Antonio, TX

Interment: Arlington National Cemetery

It is with great regret and sorrow that I must notify you of the death of our Classmate, Glynn Mallory, on February 20, 2020, in San Antonio, TX as a result of acute myeloid leukemia due to myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). 

Glynn is survived by his wife, Linda; their daughter, Margaret Mallory-Lorente; their son, Glynn III; their daughter, Amber Kistler and her husband, Charles Kistler; and their grandchildren, Frankie Lorente, Tony Lorente, Isabella Lorente, Mallory Kistler, Annabelle Kistler, and Charlotte Kistler. 

Visitation will be on Monday, March 2, 2020 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at Porter Loring Funeral Home, 2102 N. SH 1604 Loop, E Frontage Road, San Antonio, TX 78232. 

A Celebration of Life service will be on Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at 1:00 PM at Alamo Heights United Methodist Church, 825 E. Basse Road, San Antonio, TX, 78209.  A reception at the church will follow.  Attendees will be welcome to share memories. 

Funeral services for Glynn are scheduled at 1 PM, 23 July 2020, at the Old Post Chapel, Fort Myer, VA.  Burial will follow in Arlington National Cemetery.  A reception following the burial is currently planned at the Fort Myer Officers Club.  

Glynn Mallory's funeral service will be at 1 PM, 23 July at the Old Post Chapel, Fort Myer, followed by burial in Arlington National Cemetery. 

Attendance at the chapel service is limited to 50 including the family; therefore, no more than 35 additional people will be able to attend the chapel service.  Those attending must wear face coverings and maintain social distance guidelines. 

Attendance at the gravesite is also limited to 50. 

Those wishing to be part of the funeral procession from the chapel should meet in the chapel parking lot.  Upon completion of the service you will proceed to the cemetery. 

Further details can be found at  Please pay particular attention to the requirements for face coverings and ID cards. 

Out of an abundance of caution, the family regrets that it has cancelled the reception due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Condolences may be sent to Linda and her family at 19221 Heather Forest, San Antonio, TX 78258-3820.  

In lieu of flowers, the family wishes you consider donating blood to your local blood bank as this is what sustained his life so he could have more time with his family.  Your donation will help so many others who are currently undergoing treatment. 

Glynn's family has added that donations in his memory to assist warrior families may be made to either the Fisher House Foundation, 12300 Twinbrook Parkway, Suite 410, Rockville, MD 20852 or The Judith Markelz Scholarship at the San Antonio Area Foundation, 303 Pearl Parkway, Suite 114, San Antonio, TX 78215.

Well done, Glynn.  Be thou at peace.


Class Memorial Pages\K-1 Glynn Mallory.pdf

I can not imagine the United States Army without general Glynn C. Mallory Jr.  Sir you’ve inspired and paved the way for the next generation of generals. I hope and pray that they will see your vision and understanding of leadership and how to lead your soldiers into battle.  I will lead my life to reflect a part of you. I will do my best to do everything that you personally taught me to be.  With all due respect sir “I love you " and may God reunite us soon, at the end we all win.

Sgt Elias Rodriquez


Glynn Clark Mallory, Jr was born in Natchez, Mississippi on 10 February 1939 and was raised in Waterproof, Louisiana. He lived with his parents, Ann and Glynn Mallory Sr, older sister, Grace, and his paternal grandparents on a cotton farm. His grandmother, Grace Clark, was part Cherokee, and a descendant of William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. He attended a school in Waterproof that served kindergarten through high school in one small building. His younger years were spent working in the fields, driving the combine, fishing, hunting, and raising chickens and baby beef calves to show. He played four years of football at Waterproof High School and was Captain of his team in his Senior year. He was President of the Student Council and his Senior Class as well as Valedictorian, and delegate to Pelican Boys State where he was elected Lieutenant Governor. He was awarded the American Legion Citizenship award and the V.F.W. award for Most Outstanding Student for which he was given a scholarship to any college of his choice in Louisiana. There were only 19 students in his Senior class.

When Glynn was a young boy, his father took him to a movie where he saw a news film, featuring the United States Military Academy at West Point. His father explained the institution and purpose of training young men to serve their country as Army officers. He remembers this was the inspiration that fueled his goal to be a soldier. He received his appointment through Congressman Otto E. Passman in 1957 and entered the academy that year.

Glynn was known by many names, "Glynn Jr" or "Son" on the farm, "Mal" by his wife and classmates, "Coach" by his cadets while serving as their Tactical Officer, "General" by many in the Army, and "G-Man" by his golfing WAD group. But, his favorite was "Dad" or "Grandpa."

At West Point Glynn found a brotherhood in Company K-1, as well as with many other classmates that has endured almost 60 years. These men still have a solid bond, supporting each other through good times and bad. When they gather it is as though they have never been apart. Their motto is "Second to None" and they strive to live up to that. He has always reflected on the fact that his roommate would have been first in the class had he not spent so much time in the closet under a blanket with a flashlight helping Glynn master all the math. These friendships were extremely important to him, and he valued all of his cadet experiences with his classmates. Only these men who lived and trained together can relate the many experiences they endured and escapades they created from their plebe year through graduation. One should know that each of them shares a part of each other for a lifetime. His class marched in the Inauguration Parade of President John F. Kennedy.

While he promised his mother he would not play football due to injuries he had sustained in high school, he could not avoid the opportunity and desire to join the Army 150 lb Lightweight or Sprint Football team in his Cow (Jr) year where he was coached by the great Eric Tipton. His focus from that point on was to BEAT NAVY. It should be noted that he always cheered for the other rival academies… except when they played Army.

Glynn graduated in 1961 from West Point, and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant of Infantry. He is a graduate of the United States Army Command and General Staff College and the Army War College. Additionally he earned a Masters Degree in Business Administration from the University of Georgia.

He has commanded at every level in the Army beginning with an airborne rifle company in combat with the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam from 1966-1967. Two years later, he served as a brigade operations officer in the 4th Infantry Division in Vietnam. He commanded a mechanized infantry battalion, the 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, at Ft. Carson, Colorado, a heavy armor brigade, the 4th Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, in Wiesbaden, Germany, the Second Armored Division at Ft Hood, Texas, and the U.S. Sixth Army and Presidio, in San Francisco, California.

He served as the Senior Military Assistant to the Secretary of the Army, Deputy Director of Operations in the National Military Command Center on the Joint Staff, and as the Director of Operation, Mobilization, and Readiness on the Army Staff during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

Among his awards and decorations are the Distinguished Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, the Silver Star, the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, the Bronze Star with V device for valor and five oak leaf clusters, and the Purple Heart. He was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge, the Senior Parachutist Badge, the Ranger Tab, the Army Staff Identification Badge, and the Joint Staff Identification Badge.

Glynn Mallory was a professional soldier who possessed admirable character and moral values. He was a Christian who lived by his faith daily. A selfless humble man, he treated every person he met with respect. He valued his relationships with his fellow officers and subordinates. He spoke often of the lessons he learned as a young officer from his non-commissioned officers and practiced their guidance. They taught him to be firm but fair and never walk by a mistake. He did not tolerate using soldiers to promote self image, especially wounded warriors. He abhorred using soldiers for mundane tasks. He was a man of high standards and charged his officers to take care of soldiers and their families as if they were their own. He was a patient trainer, always leading from the front and never expected his soldiers to do anything he would not do himself. As a commander, he strived to train them to do their mission and return safely to their families. He loved soldiers and considered them the noblest creation of mankind. He was fortunate to work for and with many commanders and peers who shared these same values and ideals. These men were commanders who trained their men and women to protect our country and survive.

After retiring, he relocated from the Presidio of San Francisco to San Antonio and continued to do some contract work as a military training consultant, but found his calling during the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts when so many wounded warriors and their devastated families descended upon Brooke Army Medical Center. With the first request from a commander in Iraq to visit a dying severely burned soldier, he was committed to mentoring wounded warriors, focusing on the burn unit. These patients and their families would spend years in recovery. This was his passion, and he spent many days a week visiting patients in the hospital and trying to help families adjust. During this time, he was fortunate to become part of a board known as Returning Heroes Home. Their goal was to build a respite place on the campus of the hospital to serve these wounded warriors and families. The board is made up of people who serve from their heartfelt compassion, patriotism, and devotion to the wounded warrior. This was the most self fulfilling project in his retired life. As he recovered from an extensive back surgery, he was fortunate to rehab in aquatic therapy at the Center for Intrepid, also located on the BAMC campus. This is where he spent much of his time for many months even after he was diagnosed with an illness. Here he would bond with therapists and recovering injured soldiers.

He found great enjoyment working in his yard, taking pride in having beautiful gardens and hanging baskets of flowers. He named every snake, lizard, and creature he encountered, and they returned every year. He looked forward to playing golf with his many friends and always aspired to return to the course following rehab from his back surgery. He met Linda (Hollstein) on his first assignment with the 101st ABN DIV at Ft Campbell, Kentucky in 1962 as she was about to enter University of Kentucky. Her family eagerly welcomed him as part of the family, and they were married in June of 1964. He had inscribed "Color It Happy" in her wedding ring. They were blessed with three wonderful children, Meg, Glynn III, and Amber. Their life has been an adventure ever since they met. They both feel very lucky to have found each other and are grateful to God for the life they have shared. They never lost faith during their recent two year cancer journey together as Glynn so lovingly cared for Linda while both were undergoing chemotherapy at Brooke Army Medical Center. As Linda recovered, Glynn continued his journey and they simply swapped care giving roles. His constant reassurance and faith as well as his sense of humor sustained them and their family through his final days. They both declared their love for each other and their family often and embraced the words, "I Love You," no matter what God laid before them.

There are no words to express our family's gratitude to our doctors, nurses, staff and so many other health providers at Brooke Army Medical Center for the care they gave to both of us and continue to give to all of their patients, treating all of them equally. Their professional and personal care is above reproach. He had them convinced that he had the Heart of a Lion as they helped him live through one more football season and gave him precious time with his family. He was always looking for the discharge nurse. He looked forward to visiting with the other patients and their family members. They supported each other as they fought together. He spoke of his disease in military terms to the doctors as though they were on a mission. He was not in the defend mode, only attack, validating his Ranger Tab every day. They did everything possible to help him live as long as possible. Everyone everywhere deserves to be treated by their example.

He never met a stranger. He greeted everyone with a smile and a warm hug or a handshake, no matter who you were. He could find out more about you in five minutes than most people would ever learn. He befriended maintenance workers, lawn crews, cleaning personnel, auto repairmen, mess hall cooks, nurses, doctors, teachers, teenagers, and Whataburger staff members. He engaged in conversation with old soldiers, listening to their stories and later retelling them to others. His wit and sense of humor was entertaining, but also helped him navigate challenging moments in his life and lives of others. He was calm in a crisis, rising above chaos to make a plan and sort out the issue. He was reassuring at all times, and encouraged everyone who worked for him or in the family to be all they could be. His ability to motivate others was a gift. He had no agenda for himself other than to do good for others, but great expectations for those who worked for him as well as for his children and grandchildren.

Glynn Mallory was a simple, humble good man, a faithful servant, a loving son, brother, husband, father, and grandfather. He adored his parents and grandparents, and his sister who called him every day. He would want his children and grandchildren to know how very proud he was of them and how much he loved them. His love was unconditional for his Christian faith, family, friends, his country and the Great American Soldier. He would never want the recognition we are giving him. It is an honor to be his wife and live to care for him in his final days. It was the greatest adventure of love I could ever imagine. We all know he loved us unconditionally with all his heart, and we will all miss him very much.

Glynn would want his friends and all of you who had any relationship with him to know that he had great affection and respect for you. He knew God was in charge and would choose his day to join others who have passed before him. We all know he is looking upon you and saying: "What are you Great Americans doing here…it is the Heart of the Duty Day!
Get back to work!
…..And Beat Navy!"

Assembly/Taps Memorial Article:

Cullum No. 23738-1961 | February 20, 2020
Died in San Antonio, TX
Interred in Arlington National Cemetery, VA

Glynn Clark Mallory Jr. was born in Natchez, MS on February 10, 1939. He was raised on a cotton farm in Waterproof, LA, where he lived with his parents, Ann (Brann) and Glynn Mallory Sr. (a descendant of William Clark and Cherokee ancestry); his sister, Grace; and their paternal grandparents. He spent his younger years working in the fields, fishing, hunting, and raising beef calves. The values and work ethic he learned from his family were the foundation of his entire life. He played football at Waterproof High School, graduating with 19 students in his senior class. A documentary featuring West Point cadets inspired him to pursue the goal of attending USMA and becoming a soldier. He was appointed by Congressman O.E. Passman and entered the Academy in 1957. He joined Company K-1 (“Second to None”) and formed unique bonds and friendships that continue today. The companymates of K-1 relive their experience from plebe year through graduation as though they have never been apart. Glynn always reflected that his roommate would have been first in the class had he not spent so much time helping him master math. He joined the 150-pound (Sprint) Football Team under Coach Eric Tipton in his cow year, and his focus was to forever “Beat Navy!” Later, as tactical officer of E-2, he was honored to serve with Coach Tipton again as officer representative of the Sprint Football Team.

Glynn graduated from West Point in 1961 and was commissioned a second lieutenant of Infantry. He commanded infantry and armor units at every level in the Army. He served two tours in Vietnam: as an infantry company commander, 101st Airborne Division, and brigade operation officer, 4th Infantry Division. He commanded 1-8th Infantry Battalion at Fort Carson, CO, and the 4th Brigade, 4th Infantry Division in Wiesbaden, Germany. He was Commanding General, 2nd Armored Division at Fort Hood, TX and 6th Army at the Presidio of San Francisco.

He served as senior military assistant to the Secretary of the Army, deputy director of operations in the National Military Command Center and director of operations, mobilization and readiness during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. His decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal (two OLC), the Silver Star, the Legion of Merit (OLC), Bronze Star (“V” device with five OLC), and the Purple Heart. He earned the Combat Infantryman Badge, Senior Parachutist Badge, Ranger Tab, and the Army Staff and Joint Staff Badge. He graduated from the Command and General Staff College, Army War College, and earned an M.A. in business administration from University of Georgia.

Glynn (called “Mal” by close friends and “Coach” by others) was a professional soldier and gentleman of remarkable character and integrity. Selfless and humble, he treated every person with respect, living his Christian faith every day. He valued relationships with officers, subordinates, and his NCOs, practicing their guidance to be firm, but fair, and never walk past a mistake. Possessing high standards, he never expected soldiers to do anything he would not do himself. He loved soldiers and considered them the noblest creation of mankind. He was a “Happy Warrior,” a soldier’s soldier, instilling that spirit in cadets and soldiers he mentored.

Always positive and upbeat, Glynn never met a stranger. Greeting everyone with a smile, a hug, or handshake, he referred to them as a “Great American.” He engaged in conversation with old soldiers, revering their stories. His wit and sense of humor was contagious but also helped him navigate challenging times. Calm in a crisis, he was reassuring. His ability to motivate people was a gift. He encouraged everyone, including his own family, to be all they could be. He had no agenda for himself other than to do good for others. He was an avid football fan, especially for Army. He enjoyed gardening, golf, country music, grits, road trips cross country, his dogs, and a good cigar.

Glynn and Linda (Hollstein), whom he affectionally called “Midget,” met at Fort Campbell, KY and married in June 1964. They were blessed with three wonderful children: Meg, Glynn III, and Amber. Their life together was reflected by the words he had inscribed in her wedding ring, “Color It Happy.” He had unconditional love for his Army Midget, his children and grandchildren, friends, his country, and the “Great American Soldier.”

After retirement in 1995, they relocated to San Antonio, TX, where Glynn did contract work in Army training. When wounded warriors from the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts and their devastated families descended on Brooke Army Medical Center, Glynn received a request to visit a dying, burned soldier. He committed to mentoring wounded warriors, focusing on the burn unit. He joined a board of dedicated individuals, Returning Heroes Home, to build a respite place for wounded warriors and their families. This became his passion. He continued to mentor and bond with injured soldiers at the Center for Intrepid even after being diagnosed with myeloid dysplastic syndrome, and later, acute myeloid leukemia.

Glynn’s constant reassurance, faith and sense of humor sustained Linda and their family while they both were in cancer treatment at the same time. They were grateful to the BAMC medical team for giving Glynn one more football season and additional precious time with his family. The support they received from so many people who came into their lives is immeasurable. Glynn is interred at Arlington National Cemetery with the soldiers he loved, Section 12A, Grave 993, inscribed, “Great American.”

Known for his many humorous original and memorized famous quotes, he would say: “This marks my final roll call with you…Beat Navy!”

— Linda Mallory and K-1 classmates