Back to Last Roll Call Home Page   

Harvey L. Brown

Company D-2

9 Jul 1939 - 25 Apr 1966

Place of Death: Nashville, TN



Class Memorial Pages\D-2 Harvey Brown.pdf

Harvey Brown from Lebanon, Tennessee, was an ambitious young man who set out to pursue a military career in the footsteps of his father, Colonel Harvey Lloyd Brown. Although Harvey’s life was sadly cut short, his passion for the military and serving his country was an inspiration to everyone who knew him.

Harvey began his military career as a high school freshman at Castle Heights Military School, followed by two years at Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in Lexington, VA, and then West Point, where he arrived well equipped to conquer the physical, academic, mental, and military discipline at West Point. He was was a regular recipient of Baby Ruth candy bars from home, which still evoke memories for Sam Weiss, his Beast Barracks roommate. Sam also remembers their first room inspection: “In walked the Tac, Captain DeMoya, and some First Classmen. After a quick look around, DeMoya asked Harvey if the room was up to his usual standards. ‘Yes, Sir!’ replied Harvey and out the door went the inspection party. Seems the captain had been Harvey's TAC at VMI the year before. We all got some special attention from the Beast Detail for that.”

Harvey was very active during his cadet years, participating in Debate Council and Forum, French Club, Editor Howitzer Advertising, and Pistol and Rifle Teams. He was D-2’s Training Sergeant as a First Classman. He was also a raconteur. Few will forget his parody of a military instructor describing a mechanized infantry rifle squad in which M113 armored personnel carriers became “Mk 1, Mod 0 Elephants equipped with fording plugs” and the troopers were armed with blowguns.

Harvey was commissioned in the Engineers. After the basic course at Fort Belvoir, Airborne and Ranger School, he was assigned as a platoon leader in Company A, 326 Engineer Bn, 101st Airborne Division Fort Campbell, which was preparing to deploy to Viet Nam. While serving in combat, Harvey contracted Hodgkin’s Disease and was medically retired from the Army on 18 Sep 1965. Scant months later, he died in Vanderbilt University Hospital, Nashville TN. The life of this young Army officer and American patriot was all too short.

Harvey was survived by his father and mother, Colonel and Mrs. Brown, his wife, Shirley, who lived in Clarksville TN, and his brother Lloyd.

Sam Weiss and Classmates

You were my "first love" in High School and I didn't know until just this moment that you were not still out there in this world, maybe wondering about me, as I have so many times wondered about you. Ours was a sweet and innocent I still cherish. Over the years, I have wondered where you were, what you were doing, if you were happy, with a wonderful wife, lots of happy children (and of late, lots of happy grandchildren)...and hoped with all my heart this was true. I am so sad that you did not live long enough to enjoy these earthly blessings...God bless you always and 1-2-3

Jackie Bradley
August 23, 2001

Harvey was my Beast Barracks roommate.  I will never forget our first room inspection.  In walked the Tac Officer CPT deMoya and some First Classmen.  The TAC took a quick look around the room and asked something like "Mister Brown, is this room up to your usual standards?".  "Yes Sir!" replied Harvey and out the door went the inspection party.  Seems CPT deMoya had been Harvey's TAC at VMI the year before.  We all got some special attention from the Beast Detail for that.

Harvey also was a regular recipient of Baby Ruth candy bars from home which he shared with us.  To this day they are one of my favorite candy bars. 

I went on to I-1 and Harvey to D-2. Our paths never crossed again.  For that I am sorry as I never forgot how important he was to my getting through Beast Barracks.  Since he died of an illness contracted in Viet Nam he was not awarded a Purple Heart.  Without that award he was not eligible to be inscribed in the Class Reconciliation Plaza memorial.  But as long as we who knew him are alive he will stay in our memories.

Samuel N Weiss x-'61