Back to Last Roll Call Home Page   

Melbourne R. Russell

Company E-2

1 Oct 1938 - 23 Nov 2019

Place of Death: Hurricane, UT

Interment: TBD

It is with great regret and sorrow that I must inform you of the death of our Classmate, Reid Russell, on November 23, 2019, in Hurricane, UT, as a result of heart failure due to coronary heart disease.

Reid is survived by his wife, Rosemarie; his son, Stephen; seven grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.  He was predeceased by his son, Michael. 

Condolences may be sent to Rosemarie at 854 West 3390 South, Hurricane, UT  84737-2658.

Well done, Reid.  Be thou at peace.


Class Memorial Pages\E-2 Reid Russell.pdf

I first met Reid in 1987. I had just passed the Utah Bar and he was the patent council for one of my clients. I practiced law as a securities attorney and over the next 30 years our paths crossed many times. Reid and became "lawyer" friends. I knew he loved to fly his plane and when I was living in Las Vegas he could make the trip by air between Hurricane, UT and Boulder City, NV. In 2012 I started a new business and needed a good intellectual property attorney to help me with several USPTO filings. Reid was the first person I called and he remained our legal counsel to the end. He was not only a great lawyer, but he was a mentor and a friend. God's speed, Reid.

Elliott Taylor

Reid was/is my grandpa. He and I had a very close relationship with him, one that was very different from most grandfather/grandson relationships. We were more like peers in a lot of ways, playing sports and spending hours in deep conversation. He had a great impact on who I am today. I loved him dearly, and I miss having him around. Thanks to the others for sharing their stories. They really made my day.

Nic Russell


Assembly/Taps Memorial Article:


Cullum No. 23557-1961 | November 23, 2019 | Died in Hurricane, UT

Melbourne Reid Russell was born in Salt Lake City, UT on October 1, 1938. His family moved to Price, UT. Reid finished high school there graduating from Carbon High School. Reid played football, received a scholarship and then attended junior college prior to entering West Point.

Reid’s Howitzer entry noted that he was a born athlete, “playing lacrosse and skiing, and at the same time maintaining a running battle with the Academic Department. A sense of duty coupled with a friendly and sincere manner have won Reid high esteem among his classmates and should do much to ensure his success.”

Reid was recruited by the USAF, and he went to fly but got missiles instead. He was stationed in Texas with Strategic Air Command and was the assistant commander of a missile squadron during the high-tension 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis. Reid met and married Sylvia Smith, and they had two children: Michael and Stephen. Reid’s service commitment was up in three years, and he left the service to try a business with in-laws, which was a mistake. Reid was accepted into the University of Utah Law School, and he moved the family to Salt Lake City, UT.

During Law School Reid operated an electronics tube business as well as buying and selling surplus. After graduating from law school in 1970, Reid went to work for a patent attorney. In 1972 he became a registered patent attorney. Reid worked for the Attorney General Office for the State of Utah, where he became chief of the Criminal Justice Division. He also ran the Statewide Association of Prosecutors.

Reid wanted to use his engineering background, so he left the Attorney General Office to run his own patent law practice. Reid and his first wife divorced. Eighteen months later, in 1978, he married Rosemarie Michael, who had a career in the dental laboratory industry. Rosemarie shared his love of technology and art. Together they raised Reid’s two teenaged sons while supporting each other’s careers and many community service projects. Reid served as president of the Salt Lake Boys and Girls Club in 1983-84. Sports were Reid’s joy. He coached Little League Football, scuba diving and skiing with his sons.

Flying was a passion for Reid, and he owned an Air Coupe and a Mooney M20B. Reid and Rosemarie enjoyed many trips across the western states. In 1999 Reid and Rosemarie moved to Hurricane, UT and built an airplane hangar and their dream home with tennis court. Reid played lacrosse on a men’s team and played his final game on his 70th birthday, October 1, 2008. He was the oldest player in the American Lacrosse League.

Reid continued to practice patent law, and Rosemarie worked with him in the practice for over 20 years.

Reid was a devoted son, father, husband and grandfather. Family came first before anything else. He had two sons, seven grandchildren, and 15 great grandchildren.

A few months prior to his death at age 81 Reid learned he had severe coronary artery disease. He was told he needed an immediate quadruple bypass to survive. Reid decided against the surgery, not wanting to be disabled. On his last day Rosemarie listened to his heart with a stethoscope. She told Reid she could not hear his heartbeat. Reid said he would not go to the hospital: he had done everything he wanted to do in life and, though he did not want to leave her, alone he was done. He then cleaned up the courtyard, worked on a patent application and died in his sleep that evening. Reid lived and died the way he wanted to, with a sense of honor and duty.

Rosemarie Russell